Kaizen is Japanese word, means continuous improvement. Kai means Change and Zen means for the better. So, Kaizen means Change for the better. It means continuous improvement of a industries or factory. Kaizen is a tools that improve industries or factory production directly or indirectly. Now a days, it is very popular words in work place organization.
Introduction and Benefits of Kaizen
In scientific think Kaizen is a Analise system that utilize how it is work . Lean production is a common and familiar word in garment industries. The lean production is founded by the idea of Kaizen. The small, gradual, incremental changes applied over a long period that add up to a major impact on business result. Kaizen not refers to big improvement. It refers a small but continuous improvement.
Basic goals : Discover and eliminate waste it is the basic goal of Kaizen. It help discover hidden cost and how it is eliminate. We know that, Waste is anything that the customer does not pay for. All waste can’t eliminate. Cause some cost are necessary or abounded by law. Some waste not eliminated for buyer requirement. Some waste for obedient government law.
Improvement can be broken down between Kaizen and innovation.
- Kaizen is small improvements all the time.
- Innovation is a big improvement once in a while.
Steps of Kaizen Tools
- Brain storming.
- Theme and goal set up.
- Data collection.
- Cause and effect analysis.
- Countermeasure set up (Plan).
- Implementation (Do).
- Effectiveness of results (Check).
- Correction of Countermeasure (Action).
Case of Product:
Example: Reduce no of defects or rejects or spot by perfect inspection system.
Case of Equipment
Example: Prevent machine from breakdown by daily inspection and oiling etc.
Operate machines in optimal conditions to achieve designed production capacity.
Reduce the loss time caused by preparation and setup.
Case of Process:
- Improve line balance to remove the bottle neck among processes by Multi handling works.
- Reduce the waiting time among processes.
- Avoid mistakes by visual control such as Kanban.
Case of Human
- Awareness on quality and productivity.
- Consciousness on the surrounding problems.
- Mutual communication to have cooperation and common information.
- Competitive effort to produce each idea.
Case of System
- Manuals operational, inspection etc.
- Document, ISO etc.
Ten Basic Principles for Improvement
- Share all of your idea about how to do things.
- Don’t waste your time and think of how the new method will work not how it won’t.
- Don’t accept any excuses.
- Don’t seek 100 percent perfection. A 50 percent implementation is fine as long as it’s done on the spot.
- Discover mistake and solve it as soon as possible. Don’t spend a lot of money on improvement.
- Take a chance to use your brain.
- When you fall in a trouble then Ask “why” at least five times until you find the ultimate cause.
- Many people’s ideas are better than one person’s.
- Improvement knows no limit.
- Improvement knows no limit.
Problem Solving Process is practiced via PDCA cycle.
Plan: Diagnosis. Identify team mission and potential benefit. Trouble shooting (5 whys). Develop ideas.
Do: Apply Implementation plan.
Check: Monitor progress and results.
Act: Standardize the method.
- Cause and effect diagrams.
- Pareto Charts.
- Control Charts.
- Scatter Plots.
- Check Sheets.
- Statistical Methods.
- Value Stream Mapping.
- Takt and Cycle times.
- Poka Yoke.
- Visual controls.
- Preventive Maintenance.
- 5 whys.
Value Stream Mapping Implementation
VSM means Value Stream Mapping. Special type of flow chart that uses symbols known as ‘the language of lean to depict and improve the flow Provide optimum value to the customer through a complete value creation process with minimum waste in:
- Design (concept to customer).
- Build (order to delivery).
- Sustain (in use through life cycle to service).
Some Important Tropic
5 S: 5s is the combined of Five word. That are-
- Set in Order.
5 Whys Meaningful Discussion
Suppose you go to office 8 am every day. So, you get up from bed 7am. But today you get up 7.30 am and go to office in late. Now if you are think about it. You question why in five times then you get the right reason to late.
Types of Kaizen
- Flow Kaizen: Value Steam Improvement.
- Point Kaizen: Elimination of waste (waiting, resources, excess motions, unnecessary excess motions, unnecessary activities).
Is a team activity aimed at rapid use of lean methods to eliminate production waste in a particular area of the shop floor. Many successful events are planned for shorter period such as: Half day, one day or two days. There is a difference between kaizen and kaizen events. Kaizen events are artificial groups set up to address single subject/area. They are usually one time only affairs.
Kaizen is intended to be incorporated as a normal day by day approach to the improvement of the entire value stream. Once commitment to kaizen is made. Kaizen events or blitzes can be held periodically to make focused changes in the workplace. A kaizen event must be carefully prepared, well coordinated and thoroughly followed up in order to be successful.
How does Kaizen benefit your company?
n would be in planning and preparation stages for the team through the lean forum.
HR Manager: Should participate from the start and help with the pertaining and communication.
If you want to learn more then you can visit www.beioa.org.bd, www.buet.ac.bd or www.bkmea.bd.com. You can search by google. If you want to learn by online then search your tropic read all post sincerely.